When was coca cola founded?
Coca-Cola began in 1886 not as a company, but as a single drink which was named by Frank Robinson. The man who created Coke, John Pemberton, could have imagined he’d invent something that would endure for 133 years and counting. Coke – the drink, that is – is still around because Pemberton invented a great product and with advertising, the drink became phenomenally successful. But it took much more to make Coca-Cola into a great, global company.
• Asa Griggs Candler (1851-1929), secured ownership of the business, and the trademark “COCO-COLA” was registered in the US, 1893.
• Sales rose about 9000 gallons to 370,877 gallons in 1900, under Candler’s leadership.
• Coco-Cola company signed its first agreement with an independent bottling company in 1899.
• Coco-Cola company sold to a group of investors in 1919 for $25.
• Atlanta business Ernest Woodruff son’s became president and chairman of the company for more than three decades (1923-55)
• The trademark COKE, was first used in advertising in 1941.
• In 1941, the company purchased rights to a soft drink, named Fanta.
• Coco-Cola bottle was first introduced in 1916 get registered in 1960.
• In 1961, the company introduced lemon-lime drink named Sprite.
• The company entered the citrus juice market with its purchase of Minute Maid Corporation.
• In 1982, the company start selling a low-calorie sugar-free drink named Diet Coco-Cola.
• A controlling interest of the company was held in Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc from 1982 to 1989.
• New markets opened up for Coco-Cola in the early 1990s.
• Company starts selling products in East Germany in 1990 and in India in 1993.
• In the early 2000s, Coca-Cola faced allegations of illegal soil, water pollution, and severe human rights violation.
• In 2001 the United Steelworkers of America and the International Labor Rights Fund started a controversy that gained worldwide attention and led several American universities to ban the sale of Coca-Cola products on their campuses.
• In 2002, Vanilla Coke was introduced in the US, and the company sponsors the FIFA world cup “ competition in Japan and Korea”
• In 2004, diet Coke with lime was introduced.
• In 2005 the company introduced Coca-Cola Zero, a zero-calorie soft drink with the taste of regular Coca-Cola.
• In 2007 the company acquired Energy Brands, Inc., along with its variously enhanced waters.
• In 2008, the Coco-Cola blog conversation was established and Sprite becomes the third company to sell more than 2 billion cases annually.
• In 2009, a two-liter contoured package was introduced.
• In 2010, the company launches the Haiti-Hope project.
• In 2011, the company celebrates 125 years of brand Coco-Cola.
‘James Quincey is chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company.’
He said that:
“We’re building this business for the next century, not just the next quarter.”