What is Crimean Congo Fever?
A viral infection that spreads through:
- Bites of infected ticks
- Contact with blood and other body fluids from infected animals or people
How to Stay Safe When Buying or Caring for Animals?
Protect yourself from ticks:
- Wear light-coloured full-sleeved and buttoned clothing and shoes with socks
- Apply insect repellent with DEET on the exposed areas of the body
- Inspect yourself for ticks and take a shower as soon as you return home
How to Stay Safe During Qurbani?
- Use a mask to cover your mouth and nose.
- Wear gloves and wash your hands immediately after removing the gloves.
- Don’t touch your eyes or nose with unclean hands.
- Keep your hands clean by washing with soap and water
- Keep animal hides away from the Qurbani site
Symptoms of Crimean Congo Fever
- Sudden onset of high fever
- Bruising or bleeding
- Muscle ache, backache or headache
Symptoms develop 1-3 days after tick bites and 5-7 days after exposure to infected matter.